History recalls that the Municipality is the oldest witness of the closeness of Monaco citizens to their Sovereign.
The existence of a municipality dates back to the 13th Century when Monaco’s inhabitants formed a Community seeking to preserve their interests and defend against potential assailants. This type of general assembly known as Parliament was made up of both elected representatives and of members in their own right, under the authority of a Lord.
During the 16th Century, the community, composed of 4 administrators and 12 advisors, was presided by a "Podesta" (magistrate) who was assisted by municipal officers elected yearly on 29 September, the feast of St. Michael.
In 1790, Prince Honoré III instituted a Council of 18 members. The French Revolution then brought about other changes to Monaco’s municipal structuring though these lasted only a short time.
It is only through the 1911 Constitution that Municipal Institutions were reformed. Monaco was then divided into 3 distinct municipalities: Monaco Ville, the Condamine and Monte-Carlo.
Each municipality was headed by its own Mayor, appointed by the Sovereign and assisted by an elected Council composed of 9 members. Monaco’s first 3 Mayors were thus named by the Sovereign on May 20th, 1911 in accordance with Constitutional laws.
On June 9th 1911, Suffren Reymond was named President of the inter-Municipal Commission by Prince Albert 1st. This institution remained in place until 1917 when the Constitution was suspended.
After World War I, one and only municipality was reinstituted to reflect people will. The law of 1920 established its statutes and functioning.
The Municipal Council saw membership increase from 9 to15 members elected by direct universal suffrage.
The Constitution of 1911 and the law of 1920 opened the way to other reforms modernising our Institution. The modernisation process continued with the enactment of the Constitution of 1962 and the rewriting of the law governing the functioning of the municipality in 1974, last amended in 2006. The Mayor’s term in office has been extended from three to four years and party lists have been included in the direct universal suffrage system.
The areas City Hall is responsible for are : community care, standard of living, cultural activities and entertainment.
Ever since the constitutional reform of 2002 and the enactment of statute law no.1316, dated June 29th 2006, amending statute law no. 959 of July 24th 1974, regarding municipal functioning, Town Hall avails itself of budgetary allocations granted to it by the legislation that governs initial yearly budget subsidies, thus enjoying greater budgetary autonomy.